Continuing and recognizing prior studies | Open University

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

Continuing previously started or discontinued studies

You may continue studies which you began earlier or have discontinued by registering for the courses which you have not yet completed.

  • If necessary, check your previously completed studies from the My Studyinfo service or the University of Helsinki student records. Read more: Evaluation and completed studies
  • As a rule, completed studies and study modules remain valid for 10 years. If your prior studies are older than this, please contact us at
  • If the curriculum (previously: degree requirements) for your studies has changed since you embarked on your prior studies, check to see the equivalence of your studies to current curricula. Read more: Equivalence of studies after curriculum changes (below)

Equivalence of studies after curriculum changes

The curricula (previously: degree requirements) of the University of Helsinki’s degree programmes are inspected and updated if necessary every three years. The latest updates to the curricula were made in autumn 2020.  

If you completed some of your studies under the old degree requirements, check to see how your completed studies correspond to current curricula. Up-to-date information on the equivalence of studies is available from the website of the degree programme or study track in question.  

In unclear situations, please contact us at

Recognising prior studies and applying for credit transfer

If you have completed a course at a different university or university of applied sciences, you may apply to transfer your credits for an Open University course if the content of the courses is sufficiently similar.  

Applying for credit transfer based on previously completed studies:  

  • Register for the Open University course for which you would like the credits transferred. Credit transfer may only be applied for and granted if the student holds a valid study right for the course in question.  
  • Apply for credit transfer with the digital credit transfer form (fi) Carefully complete the form and include the requested attachments. 
  • If you are applying to transfer credits for several courses, fill out a separate form with attachments for each course.  

The general principles for the recognition and validation of prior learning (RVPL) are laid down in the Regulations on Degrees and the Protection of Students’ Rights at the University of Helsinki (PDF) as well as Rector’s Decision UH/496/ (PDF)