Healthcare for exchange students

The instruction belongs to the following themes

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

EU/EEA citizens can use public health care services and those with a private health insurance can make use of the private health care providers. Finnish student health services (FSHS) are not available for exchange students. 

In life threatening emergencies always call the general emergency number 112. In acute, but not life threatening situations see instructions below.

EU/EEA citizens (during Finnish office hours)

Helsinki city's Student Health Care, Central reception

Always call and book an appointment! Bring your EHIC card as well as your insurance card (if you have one). It is good to have either a student card or your certificate of student status with you too. 

Public Health Nurse Marja Laiho

tel. +358 40 6624166

Opening hours 

Monday – Thursday 8.00 - 16.00

Fridays 8.00 - 14.00

Address: Mechelininkatu 46, 4 th. floor
Entrance through A-stairs elevator. The glass door on the 4 th floor is locked. Ring the doorbell and the doorman will let you in. 


Non-EU/EEA citizens

You have been required to obtain a private health care insurance to obtain a residence permit. Here are examples of the private health care stations you can use: 

Emergency care (not life threatening)

If the health care stations are closed and you need to urgently see a doctor, see Helsinki city's emergency care instructions

Coronavirus related symptoms?