Residence permits and hosting agreements for doctoral researchers

The instruction belongs to the following themes

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

Citizens of countries outside the EU, Switzerland or Liechtenstein must apply for a residence permit if the intended stay in Finland is longer than three months. As a rule, all doctoral students apply for a residence permit for scientific research, independent of their source of funding.

The residence permit is applied for from the Finnish Immigration Service MIGRI. You will need a hosting agreement from the University of Helsinki as a part of your residence permit application. If you need a hosting agreement, please contact the Doctoral Student Services of your home faculty. Contact information for Faculty Doctoral Student Services is available in the article Services for Doctoral Education.

If your previous residence permit is about to expire, apply for continuation in good time. Processing the application can take several months. Also check from MIGRI whether if a new hosting agreement is needed.