Student Union of the University of Helsinki (HYY) and student nations
The instruction belongs to the following themes
Search for degree programme
Master's and Licentiate's Programmes
Specialist training programmes
HYY’s members consist of all basic degree students of the University of Helsinki as well as postgraduate and exchange students who have joined the Student Union. HYY serves as an advocate, service provider and community for students.
The Student Union is a student community that protects students’ interests and provides services. All students pursuing a bachelor’s or master's degree at the University of Helsinki are members of the Student Union. Postgraduate and exchange students can also apply for membership.
The Student Union protects your interests at and outside the University. Thanks to student lobbying, you have at your disposal, among other things, the following benefits:
- Student meals subsidised by the Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela)
- Inexpensive student housing
- The Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS), which provides healthcare services to students. Please note that postgraduate and doctoral researchers as well as exchange students are not entitled to the services provided by the FSHS. Further information on healthcare for exchange students is available here.
The Student Union provides a range of services to students. Further information on member benefits is available on the Student Union’s membership page. The benefits available to members of the Student Union include the following:
- legal advice
- Ylioppilaslehti magazine (in Finnish)
- Studentbladet magazine (in Swedish)
- student calendar
- Fresher Guide
- student card
- child care service
- student discounts across Finland
Over the year, the Student Union organises various events where you can meet other student across disciplinary boundaries and enjoy a sense of community. The diverse range of Student Union events include the following:
- Opening carnival
- Fresher Adventure
- Student Union anniversary
- Students’ Independence Day torchlight procession
You can join in Student Union activities at any time! The Student Union has several committees developing its operations. In addition, there are some 250 associations active under the Student Union of the University of Helsinki. Whether you are interested in politics or choral singing, you are sure to find activities suited to you during your studies, for example, in student nations, faculty- and subject-specific student organisations, hobbyist organisations and political organisations.
The University of Helsinki student associations known as student nations (osakunta in Finnish) are cross-disciplinary communities that bring together students of different ages and fields. The members of a student nation often come from the same region of Finland, but students are free to join any student nation.