Working while studying

The instruction belongs to the following themes

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

International exchange and degree students are allowed to work during their stay in Finland – with certain restrictions. The restrictions have to do with the nationality (EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA) and the nature of employment.

As an EU/EEA citizen, you have the right to work in Finland without any work permit or restrictions on hours.

Students coming from outside of the EU/EEA countries and with a student residence permit are allowed to work part-time, if the working time comes to an average of 25 hours per week at most. You can adjust the hours on a weekly basis as long as the average is around 25 working hours per week during the academic terms. There are no limitations on working hours in full-time employment during holidays.

It should be pointed out that you cannot count on financing your studies solely by working. Even if the official regulations would allow working, finding a temporary job is often difficult. In addition, at least a working knowledge of the Finnish language in most cases is a must.

For the regulations of study and work, see MIGRI’s website.


If you work in Finland, you have to pay taxes on your income. The taxation policy depends on how long you stay in Finland - less than six months or over six months - and on the type of your employment. International tax agreements sometimes allow tax deductions for students. In most cases, you can get a deduction only if your work in Finland is directly related to your studies at home.

Check the Finnish Tax Administration's website for details.