Each autumn and spring, before the classes begin, there is an orientation week which is a week full of activities for all new international students. It is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to get to know the campuses and the university and to get all the official matters out of the way.
Please note that if you miss the orientation week, the start of your studies will be more time-consuming and challenging as you have to take care of everything independently.
Degree students might receive some credits for the orientation. Please ask more information from your degree programme.
- Orientation Week: 31 August - 3 September, 2021
Due to Covid-19, all administrative matters will most likely be taken care of online, to ensure everyone's safety and equal participation. In that case, all necessary information will be sent to you in the form of newsletters, so please pay attention to the guidelines and instructions in them. Every faculty organizes its own orientation, please follow your own faculty's orientation programme by first selecting your degree programme in the Orientation and Tutoring web page.
Here below are some important Orientation events for international students:
- Orientation event on guidance, supervision and well-being
- Link to pdf presentations and video are published on the orientation page
- ORIENTATION EVENT ABOUT LANGUAGE STUDIES
- Link to pdf presentations are published on the orienation page.
Get to Know Your Campus
The University of Helsinki comprises four campuses. Get to know yours in advance!
- City Centre Campus (Faculties of Arts, Educational Sciences, Law, Theology and Social Sciences, Swedish School of Social Science)
- Kumpula Campus (Faculty of Science)
- Viikki Campus (Faculties of Biological And Environmental Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry, Pharmacy and Veterinary Medicine)
- Meilahti Campus (Faculty of Medicine)
All Bachelor’s or Master’s students who have registered as attending are entitled to an affordable student-priced lunch at the UniCafe cafeterias on all campuses. For lunch prices and the contact details of the cafeterias, please visit the UniCafe website. You can use your Certificate of student status during the Orientation Week to get a student discount at Unicafe. Students without a certificate can get a staff member discount from UniCafe.