Each autumn and spring, before the classes begin, there is an orientation week which is a week full of activities for all new international students. It is a not-to-be-missed opportunity to get to know the campuses and the university and to get all the official matters out of the way.
Please note that if you miss the orientation week, the start of your studies will be more time-consuming and challenging as you have to take care of everything independently.
Degree students might receive some credits for the orientation. Please ask more information from your degree programme.
- Welcome Fair: 25 August & 26 August 2020
- Orientation Week: 25 August – 28 August 2020
- Welcome Fair: 12 January 2021
- Orientation Week: 12 January – 15 January 2021
The Welcome Fair (25–26 August) will be arranged in autumn 2020 on a smaller scale, divided to all four campuses in order to minimize the contacts and unnecessary travel. Only the necessary services for getting your studies started will be present. At the Welcome Fair, you can get your student certificate, activate your university user account, get your travel card, register your right of residence and apply for a personal identity code. All the other services offered to students will be presented in a separate newsletter instead. More detailed information will be added here closer to the event!
The Welcome Fair is the perfect place to get to know the University as well as to get all the official matters out of the way. The event is part of the orientation week and takes place at the Language Centre of the University of Helsinki (address: Fabianinkatu 26). Please see our Welcome Fair and orientation week map for locations.
At the Welcome Fair you can
- pick up your certificate of student status and local transport discount certificate,
- pick up your username for the University computer network
- register your address and apply for a personal identity code from the Digital and Population Data Services Agency
- get your arrival certificate signed and stamped (exchange students, if applicable)
- get information on language courses (incl. Finnish) and on how to register for them
- get information on various other services available for you, e.g. Unisport, Study Psychologists, University Library, the Finnish Student Health Service
- talk to people from the Student Union and student organisations such as the Erasmus Student Network (ESN)
- and of course meet a lot of new friends!
If you have not paid the Student Union fee before your arrival and you wish to join the Student Union, you can pay the fee also at the Welcome Fair in August (not in January). However, we recommend that you pay the fee before your arrival. For payment information please see the instructions for annual registration. Remember to bring the receipt with you!
Remember to bring your official ID with you to the Welcome Fair (passport or ID card; it is recommended that EU citizens also bring their passports for their stay in Finland). Otherwise you will not be able to get all of the official matters out of the way.
For EU/EEA citizens: Bring also your European Health Insurance Card with you. We will check the card at the Welcome Fair as it is required by the Finnish health care system.
We recommend that you visit the Welcome Fair together with your tutor. The faculty will give you more information on when your tutor group is visiting the Welcome Fair.
Get to Know Your Campus
The University of Helsinki comprises four campuses. Get to know yours in advance!
- City Centre Campus (Faculties of Arts, Educational Sciences, Law, Theology and Social Sciences, Swedish School of Social Science)
- Kumpula Campus (Faculty of Science)
- Viikki Campus (Faculties of Biological And Environmental Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry, Pharmacy and Veterinary Medicine)
- Meilahti Campus (Faculty of Medicine)
All Bachelor’s or Master’s students who have registered as attending are entitled to an affordable student-priced lunch at the UniCafe cafeterias on all campuses. For lunch prices and the contact details of the cafeterias, please visit the UniCafe website. Exchange Students will get a certificate of student status from Welcome Fair event, before that they can get a staff member discount from UniCafe.