Health insurance

The instruction belongs to the following themes

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

It is very important that you have good health insurance that is valid during the entire time your studies last. Health insurance is one of the obligatory requirements you will need for obtaining a residence permit for studies. Your health insurance must be valid upon your entry to Finland and your residence permit will only be valid for as long as the health insurance that you buy. 

Also when applying for an extension for your residence permit, you must have valid health insurance. More information about what kind of an insurance you need is available on the Finnish Immigration Service's (MIGRI) website.

For all European citizens, the European Health Insurance Card is a necessity.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of a third-country, i.e. you are not a citizen of one of the EU countries or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you arrive in Finland for the purpose of studying, then you are required to have health insurance, if the period of study lasts for more than three months. The requirement is the same for degree-seeking and for visiting/exchange students. Students from Quebec (Canada) are exempted from the health insurance requirement. For UK citizens it is enough to have UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

  • Third-country nationals studying in Finland for less than two years must have private insurance which covers the cost of medical treatment up to 120,000 euros. The reason for this is that these students are usually not granted the right of domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland, and therefore are not entitled to municipal health care services.
  • Third-country nationals studying in Finland for at least two years must have private insurance which covers the cost of medical treatment up to 40,000 euros (primarily medication costs). A student who studies for at least two years is usually granted the right to domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland and is therefore entitled to municipal health care services.
  • In both the above mentioned cases the insurance deductible must not exceed 300 euros.
  • It is recommended to take out insurance from a known international insurance company. This will shorten the processing time of your residence permit application.
  • Please find more information, including a list of recommended insurance providers, on the website of MIGRI.

EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, the European Health Insurance Card is a necessity. It simplifies the procedures for any medical assistance needed during your temporary stay in Finland.


  • It is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.
  • It does not guarantee free services. As each country's healthcare system is different, services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.

Nordic citizens

If you are covered by health insurance in another Nordic country, you are entitled to health care in Finland. You will receive care under the same terms and pay the same amount for the services as Finns do. Bring along an official identity card when using health services.

Finnish Stu­dent Health Ser­vice

All degree students in higher education are entitled to use Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) services, as long as they have registered as an attending student for a particular term and paid the healthcare fee to KELA. Please note that the right to use FSHS services does not exempt you from having to take out health insurance.

If you are a doctoral student or an incoming exchange student or, you are not entitled to use FSHS services. See this page for more information on healthcare for exchange students. 



Finnish Na­tional Sick­ness In­sur­ance

The Finnish National Sickness Insurance (NSI), administered by the organisation KELA, does not cover international students. If you are not insured by a corresponding insurance system from your home country, you should obtain insurance from a private insurance company. You are strongly advised to purchase good medical and accident insurance before your arrival at the University of Helsinki and Finland.