Language certificates for incoming exchange and visiting applications

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

The University of Helsinki requires language skills in English, Finnish or Swedish (the language you mainly plan to study with) that correspond to Level B2 on the CEFR scale. 



Language certificates for incoming exchange students

You can apply to the University of Helsinki as an exchange student if there is a valid student exchange agreement between your home university and the University of Helsinki, and you have been nominated by your home university.

As an exchange student, you do not need to submit proof of language proficiency. Your home university is expected to check that you have the required B2 level.

Language certificates for incoming visiting students

If your home university does not have a student exchange agreement with the University of Helsinki, but you would like to complete a part of your degree at the University of Helsinki (UH), you can apply for the visiting student status

English language certificate: please submit one of these certificates* with the following minimum scores: TOEFL iBT 79/ TOEFL ITP 550, IELTS 6.0, or a certificate of English on CEFR B2 level from a language teacher, such as University of Helsinki's own language certificate or an equivalent certificate.

Equivalent certificates which have a conversion scale to TOEFL, IELTS or CEFR are accepted, if you upload a conversion scale with the certificate. Please note that TOEIC is only accepted if it includes results for all four subsections. The language certificate must be written in English, Finnish or Swedish.

NB! Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support (OLS) based language certificates are not accepted.

* Not required for students who meet at least one of the following:

1) Native speakers of English, Finnish or Swedish             

2) Applicants whose degree is taught entirely in English or have graduated from an English-taught high school

3) Students studying at universities in Nordic countries, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Hong Kong, or Singapore are exempt from providing proof of their English language skills.

4) Applicants who will use Finnish or Swedish as their main language of study during the exchange. For proving your Finnish skills, please provide a certificate of B2 Finnish or use YKI 4, the Finnish National Certificates of Language Proficiency or the equivalent. For proving your Swedish skills, please provide CEFR B2 or above.