Copies and translations of the degree certificate

The instruction belongs to the following themes

By selecting a degree programme you are able to see the general content as well as the possible degree programme-specific content. You do not have to select a degree programme to see the Open University's instructions.

The degree certificate is issued in Finnish or Swedish. For more information on how the language of your degree certificate is determined, please contact the Student Service point for your faculty. If you graduate from an English-language Master’s programme or from the English-language study track of a multilingual Master’s programme, you will also receive your degree certificate in English.

For more information on doctoral degree certificates, please see the instructions related to doctoral certificates and graduation. For the copies and translations of degree certificates, the instructions on this page apply also to doctoral degrees.

On this page


You can request an official copy of your degree certificate in its original language. If you need a copy, order one from the Student Service point for your faculty and pay the associated fee in advance. Official copy costs 10 € apiece

You can also request a Diploma Supplement from the Student Service point for your faculty.

Please mention at least these in your order:

  • your full name (if your name has changed, also mention the name in your diploma)
  • your date of birth
  • graduation day
  • title of your degree

Payment information:

Recipient: University of Helsinki
IBAN: FI58 5000 0120 3778 32
Reference: 99113034

Payment information if you pay from abroad:

Recipient: University of Helsinki
Bank: OP pankki, Gebhardinaukio 1, FI-00510 Helsinki, Finland
IBAN: FI58 5000 0120 3778 32

All faculties except Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Theology

Attach the copy of the payment receipt to the degree certificate application and send your order to your faculty's Student Service point.

Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Theology

Please fill the application form and send the payment receipt as an attachment. You have to provide the payment receipt when you are requesting a translation.


The University does not provide translations of degree certificates, not even into Finnish, Swedish or English. Your degree certificate will be accompanied by a diploma supplement which is intended for international use and describes the content of your degree in English. In addition, you can order a transcript of studies in Finnish, Swedish or English.

If you need a translation of your degree certificate, you will have to arrange the translation yourself. The University of Helsinki recommends you use an authorised translator.

The official titles of the degree programme, study track, study modules and courses will be listed in the transcript of studies in the language of the transcript. The translator may benefit from having a transcript of studies in the relevant language as reference material. Read more about transcripts of studies and how to order them.

If an international educational institute or authority requires that the University of Helsinki send a translation of your degree diploma directly to them, you should:

  • Commission the translation from an authorised translator and submit it to your faculty’s Student Service point.
  • Request that your faculty attaches a certificate to the translation stating that it has been approved by the University. The faculty will then send the translation and certificate directly to the international institution in question.