For detailed instructions, read the email confirming your selection as an exchange student. The instructions depend on your exchange programme.
See also updates for coronavirus situation: https://studies.helsinki.fi/instructions/article/corona-information-outgoing-exchange-students
Checklist for applicants selected through all exchange programmes:
1. Accept or reject the place offer through your Mobility Online account within seven days.
2. Accept the terms and conditions of student exchange through your Mobility Online account and provide your banking details in Mobility Online for your grant.
3. Explore the application instructions and deadlines of the target university on its website (Erasmus+ SMS, SEMP, Nordlys, Erasmus University Wide, and Nordplus) or by reading the application instructions you have received from International Exchange Services (exchange programmes outside the EU/EEA area) and apply to your target university according to the instructions.
4. If you need a stamp or signature for the application to your target university, visit International Exchange Services during consultation hours or by email (email@example.com).
5. Read the instructions for applicants selected for exchange studies for important information on topics such as moving abroad.
6. Your target university will inform you about your acceptance according to its timetable, but typically students receive this information in late summer (if the exchange begins in the autumn) or late autumn (if the exchange begins in the spring).
Additional instructions for students selected for Erasmus, Nordplus/Nordlys or SEMP exchange:
- International Exchange Services can nominate you for your target university if required. The nomination information will be displayed on your Mobility Online account. You should note, however, that not all universities require a nomination. Before you begin to draw up your application, check the website of your target university to see whether it requires a nomination.
- Erasmus exchange: Specify your exchange dates on your Mobility Online account under Change stay from / stay until if the dates have been specified after you submitted your application. (Exact dates are necessary because Erasmus grants are awarded for specific dates.)
- Erasmus exchange: Your degree level at the time of your exchange will be entered into statistics as the level for which you were registered at the University of Helsinki at the time of your departure. If you have not completed a Bachelor’s degree at the time of application, but will complete the degree prior to the beginning of your exchange, notify International Exchange Services as soon as you complete the degree, so that International Exchange Services can register your Erasmus mobility period at the Master’s level.
- Prepare the application documents required by your target university in good time, and submit your application by the target university’s deadline.
- Typically, an application requires the following documents
- A digitally verified transcript of your studies by ordering it from Sisu, see instructions here.
- A letter of motivation
- A language certificate, please check the language requirements of the host University.
- A learning agreement completed in your target university’s application system. You can find the contact person for your Learning Agreement at University of Helsinki below.
o At the first phase of the application process, the documents you upload to the Mobility Online portal are not transmitted to your target university. Instead, you must submit the required documents according to your target university’s instructions.
o For outgoing Erasmus exchange students: You usually need the following information for the application submitted to your target university:
- The institutional code of the University of Helsinki: SF HELSINK01
- The country code for Finland: FI
- Erasmus Institutional Coordinator is Mari Lauri.
- Attend the session for selected students for Erasmus, Nordplus/ Nordlys- ja SEMP (in Finnish)
Additional instructions for students selected to destinations outside EU (university bilateral agreements, Faculty and unit bilateral agreements, Erasmus+ global)
You’ll receive an e-mail from International Exchange Services with application instructions to your host university. The e-mail is sent by firstname.lastname@example.org. The title of the e-mail is Application instructions. Before contacting International Exchange Services, check whether the answer is already included in the Application instructions.
NB! You can usually take Master’s level courses during your exchange only if you have completed your Bachelor’s degree prior to the target university’s application deadline. Even if you complete your Bachelor’s degree prior to the beginning of your exchange, the situation won’t change.
If your host university requires one of the attachments listed below, please follow these instructions. You will only need the attachments which are listed in your host university’s student exchange application instructions. Please note that your host university’s application instructions for exchange students are different from the instructions for degree students.
- Passport: please check that your passport is valid until the end of your exchange. Your exchange country may require your passport to be valid after your exchange ends (typically 3 or 6 months after it ends). Apply for a new passport, if necessary, already before submitting your application to the host university. This way you can receive your visa invitation without problems.
- Language certificate = Check the Application instructions sent by email@example.com for whether you need an IELTS or TOEFL certificate or a language certificate from University of Helsinki’s language centre. Please note that the instructions listed in the Application instructions e-mail can be different from the instructions listed on your host university’s web page, if alternative arrangements have been agreed on between the universities. Get your language certificate early! It takes at least two weeks to get a language certificate from the language centre. IELTS and TOEFL tests are often fully booked, so you need to sign up for the test early.
- Transcript = University of Helsinki’s transcript in English. If your host university has an online application system where all attachments are submitted online, you can use the transcript from Sisu. For destinations in Northern America: please check the Application instructions e-mail for any additional instructions, because some destinations in Northern America may require a signed transcript (see below for instructions).
- Transcript = If your host university’s application is paper-based (for example, some destinations in Japan), you cannot use the transcript from Sisu. You need an official transcript on paper which you can get from Student Services. Please get the transcript from Student Services during their consultation hours.
- Transcript of all institutions which you have attended = If you have studied at other institutions on university level, for example, if you have graduated with a Bachelor’s degree at another university, send your other university’s transcript to your host university in addition to your University of Helsinki transcript.
- Enrolment certificate / certificate of student status = Certificate of student status either from Sisu or from Student Services, which you can get during their consultation hours. Sometimes your host university has a separate form for this purpose, which International Exchange Services can fill in based on your request.
- Estimated date of graduation = estimated date of graduation for your next degree. If you haven’t graduated with a Bachelor’s degree yet, please mark the estimated date for your Bachelor’s degree graduation. Please note that the estimated date of graduation needs to be after exchange, not during exchange.
- Letter of recommendation = Recommendation from a University of Helsinki teacher who has taught you. If your host university has its own recommendation form, please use it. If your host university does not have its own form, ask for a recommendation, which does not need to follow a set format. The recommendation is addressed to your host university.
- University of Helsinki contact details and contact person in the application = Please fill in the contact details based on this page. The contact person is the specialist for your continent.
- Your host university's health certificate = If your host university has its own health certificate, please follow the instructions regarding your exchange destination which have been sent to you by the International Exchange Services (sender of the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, title of the e-mail Application instructions).
- For more information, attend the information session for students selected for exchange studies.