1. Planning a programme in languages with the teacher
First check the Language Centre’s language-specific requirements for Programmes, and contact the programme coordinator. If you have already begun studies in a language and wish to complete an entire programme in that language, contact the coordinator of the language in question. You should also contact the coordinator if your study plan changes during your studies and whenever you need advice on choosing language courses.
2. Completing language courses included in a programme
At the University of Helsinki
- Registration for language courses offered by the Language Centre takes place in WebOodi.
- Completed courses are entered into the student register according to normal practice at the Language Centre.
- Registration for courses offered by University of Helsinki degree programmes must follow the instructions of each degree programme.
At other Finnish universities
- Students must agree with the coordinator responsible for the language in question on the inclusion of language courses from other Finnish universities in a Language Centre Programmes.
- The Programme in Swedish and Russian may also include language studies completed at the Aalto University School of Business.
At foreign universities
- Before your student exchange, you must agree with the coordinator responsible for the language in question on the inclusion of language studies completed at foreign university in the Language Centre Programmes.
NB! When applying for the transfer of credits from a language course completed elsewhere to a programme:
- Visit the coordinating teacher’s office bringing the certificates for your language studies with you, OR send copies of the certificates to the coordinating teacher.
- After the coordinating teacher has confirmed that the language course can be included in the Language Centre Programme, will the teacher inform this to you and to Language Centre Student Services.
- After this can, you fill out the Language Centre’s credit transfer application form. The application must be accompanied by a copy of the certificates for your language studies.
3. Completing a Language Centre Programme
Once you have completed all the courses included in a Language Centre Programme:
- Check that all individual language courses that you have completed, or from which credits have been transferred, appear in your transcript of studies. Email the language coordinator about the registration of the programme.
- Your email must include the following: your name, student number and degree programme, the studies to be included in the programme, and the total scope of the programme.
- Expiry of studies: Study modules that you completed over ten years ago cannot be incorporated into a degree or courses you completed over ten years ago cannot be incorporated into study module.
NB! Requests for the registration of Language Centre Programmes must be submitted to the coordinating teachers responsible for each language by the end of May each academic year. Registration requests that arrive in the summer will be processed from the beginning of mid-August.
4. Certificate for a Language Centre Programme (on request)
Students receive on request a separate certificate from the Language Centre for the Programme they have completed, indicating the titles of the courses included in the programme as well as their CEFR starting levels, completion dates and scope in credits. The certificate will be posted to your home address.