1. Planning a programme in languages with the teacher
First check the Language Centre’s language-specific requirements for Programmes, and contact the responsible teacher of the programme. If you have already begun studies in a language and wish to complete an entire programme in that language, contact the responsible teacher of the programme in question. You should also contact the responsible teacher of the programme if your study plan changes during your studies and whenever you need advice on choosing language courses.
2. Completing language courses included in a programme
At the University of Helsinki
- Register for Language Centre courses in Sisu in accordance with the instructions provided by the Language Centre.
- Completed courses are recorded in Sisu in accordance with the Language Centre’s regular practices.
- Registration for courses offered by University of Helsinki degree programmes must follow the instructions of each degree programme.
At other Finnish higher education institutions
- Students must agree with the responsible teacher of the programme on the inclusion of language courses completed at other Finnish higher education institutions (universities, universities of applied sciences) in a Language Centre programme.
- When relevant, remember to apply for the flexible study right to be able to complete language studies at other Finnish universities.
At higher education institutions abroad
- It is recommended that before your student exchange, you agree with the responsible teacher of the programme on the inclusion of language studies to be completed at higher education institution outside Finland before the beginning of the exchange period.
Transferring credits for a language course completed elsewhere to a Language Centre programme
3. Approval and compilation of the Language Centre Programme
The Language Centre programmes must be separately approved by the responsible teacher of the programme. When you have completed all the courses that you planned to include in the programme, you must apply for separate approval in Sisu in accordance with the instructions provided. NB! With this application, you are applying approval for the content of the module. The module will be compiled separately at the latest when you graduate.
When compiling the module, take the following into account:
- Modules completed more than ten years ago cannot be included in degrees, and courses completed more than ten years ago cannot be included in modules. You can find more information on the page Expiry of studies.
- Requests for the approval of modules must be submitted in Sisu by the end of May each academic year. Requests received during the summer will be processed as of mid-August.
- A compiled module cannot be deleted from the records.