1. Planning a programme in languages with the teacher
First check the Language Centre’s language-specific requirements for Programmes, and contact the programme coordinator. If you have already begun studies in a language and wish to complete an entire programme in that language, contact the coordinator of the language in question. You should also contact the coordinator if your study plan changes during your studies and whenever you need advice on choosing language courses.
2. Completing language courses included in a programme
At the University of Helsinki
- Register for Language Centre courses in Sisu in accordance with the instructions provided by the Language Centre.
- Completed courses are recorded in Sisu in accordance with the Language Centre’s regular practices.
- Registration for courses offered by University of Helsinki degree programmes must follow the instructions of each degree programme.
At other Finnish universities
- Students must agree with the module coordinator on the inclusion of language courses completed at other Finnish universities in a Language Centre module.
- When relevant, remember to apply for the flexible study right to be able to complete language studies at other Finnish universities.
At universities abroad
- It is recommended that before your student exchange, you agree with the module coordinator on the inclusion of language studies to be completed at a university outside Finland before the beginning of the exchange period.
Transferring credits for a language course completed elsewhere to a Language Centre module
- Applications for inclusion are submitted in Sisu. Read carefully the instructions related to applying for inclusion.
- Applications for substitution are submitted in Sisu. Read carefully the instructions related to applying for substituion.
- Attach a copy of the certificate of completion with an account of the content of the completed studies (e.g., a course description).
- The module coordinator will decide on credit transfer.
3. Completing a Language Centre Programme
The Language Centre modules must be separately approved by the module coordinator. When you have completed all the courses that you planned to include in the module, you must apply for separate approval in Sisu in accordance with the instructions provided.
When compiling the module, take the following into account:
- Modules completed more than ten years ago cannot be included in degrees, and courses completed more than ten years ago cannot be included in modules. You can find more information on the page Expiry of studies.
- A compiled module cannot be deleted from the records.
- Requests for the approval of modules must be submitted in Sisu by the end of May each academic year. Requests received during the summer will be processed as of mid-August.