The starting skill level in the foreign language required for degrees must be B2 in English and B1 in other languages in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This means that a beginner's or intermediate course in a language cannot be used to substitute for the foreign language requirement.
If you have selected a foreign language other than English in your study plan and you wish to apply for substitution, enter in the study plan the relevant course substituting the foreign language requirement (e.g., KK-RAN4OP Foreign Language Studies: French). Then apply for substitution from the relevant course brochure according to the instructions provided.
If the foreign language (English) studies for your degree consist of two separate courses (e.g., KK-ENFARM1 and KK-ENFARM2), you must separately apply for the substitution of each course.
The foreign language studies (4 cr) required for degrees can be substituted with:
- Language studies equivalent to the compulsory courses in the foreign language included in a previous Finnish university degree (complete or incomplete degree). NB! In case the foreign language studies in a previous degree has consisted of several compulsory courses, all these courses must be completed for complete substitution. Partial substitution is also possible.
- Subject studies in the English, Spanish, Italian, French, German or Russian language completed at an institution of higher education in Finland or abroad (the completed studies must be language skills studies, not studies in phonetics, phonology, text analysis, etc.). At least 5 credits of studies must be completed.
- Equivalent (level, content, scope) language studies completed during an international exchange
- A degree completed in the language in question at an institution of higher education abroad (e.g., a bachelor’s degree completed in English)
- The following language tests: IELTS or TOEFL (score corresponding to the B2 starting skill level: IELTS 5.5 and TOEFL 72) or the Finnish National Certificate of Language Proficiency (score corresponding to starting skill level B2 in English = 4; score corresponding to starting skill level B1 in Spanish, Italian, French, German and Russian = 3). Other equivalent language tests at the skill levels B1/B2 may possibly also be used to substitute for the studies. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
- Language studies completed at the Open University or summer university in accordance with university degree requirements
NB! Substitution with one's field or applicable studies (min. 15 cr) completed in the language in question was valid until 31.12.2021.
NB! No application need be submitted for the registration of language studies completed at the University of Helsinki Open University or the Helsinki Summer University in accordance with University of Helsinki degree requirements.